Monday, November 20, 2006

Thanksgiving Memories








Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. As a child I remember we had dinner at Aunt Maude & Uncle Willard's house (Kendall's) with their son Bill, Uncle Carl, and usually Aunt Mazie. I think Mom did Christmas dinner. Of course, I was just a kid so who knows if I remember any of this right. I do remember the men eating first and dishes washed for the women - I guess paper plates were out of the question or maybe they didn't even exist?? I think the kids were fed somewhere in between there. After the Kendalls moved to Florida/Piedmont, we either had Thanksgiving at Mama & Dad's or maybe Nancy was doing it by then? Sometime after I was married and settled down I took Thanksgiving off Nancy's hands and she did Christmas. I've been doing Thanksgiving for about 30 years now - except this year, Jessie & Stevie are giving us a break. (Thank you guys) This is a good year for a break but I'm looking forward to having it at my house again next year - I guess I'm just not ready to give it up yet.
In the 30 or so years I've hosted Thanksgiving we have sometimes had as many as 45-50 people but that has become a little overwhelming - age does have it's drawbacks. I realize I haven't taken many 'Thanksgiving' pictures - but here are a few to rekindle some of those memories. Anybody have any special Thanksgiving memories?? I'm very thankful for all of you family & friends and I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie... in your last picture posted, is that my mother (Opal Thompson) sitting at table with Milly standing to her left? I'm not sure who the men are seated at the table???
It's almost New Years (12/27/06 today) so, here's wishing you and yours the Happiest Ever!!!!
Love you, Girl!
Lou (Stevens)

Anonymous said...

Lou - Sorry I haven't checked this far down on my blog lately - but yes, that is Grandma Opal. The man on her one side was Steve's father and sitting across from her is my daddy. Thanks for the new year wishes - hope you and Lad are doing well too. love, annie