Monday, September 04, 2006

Daddy





James David Alason McCoy was born on September 8, 1915 in Hornbeak, Tennessee to Mary Clara Opal (Story) & Willie W. McCoy. He was the second of 12 children, the oldest son. He had 7 sisters and 4 brothers: Winnie, Thelma, Horace, RD, Rrean, Ray, Rachel, Grace, Martin, Betty, & Bobbie. He graduated from Ridgely High School in May 1933 and married Mama on December 31, 1937. When Nancy was almost 5 and Joe was barely a month old he was inducted into the army on April 8, 1944. He was trained as a rifleman and sent overseas on September 27, 1944 where he spent most of his time in Italy where he was involved in the battles of North Appennines and Po Valley. He received an honorable Discharge as a Private First Class in Comapny B 337th Infantry Regiment of the 85th Division in December 1945. Decorations and citations included: European African Middle Eastern Theater Ribbon with 2 Bronze Service Stars, Good Conduct Medal, and World War II Victory Medal. Since his birthday is this week I'm posting some of my memories of him.
  • When I was a child he would never go to church with us but he drove us there every Sunday and would come pick us up after. After I was married he started attending with Mom and not only was baptized but was a deacon before he died.
  • He was a very dedicated hard worker. He was never off on Saturday and his 'day off' was usually spent working around the house. He is the one who taught me that no matter how menial your job is, there's no excuse for not doing your best work.
  • Although he sounded kinda gruff sometimes- he was really a tender heart. I'm sure I made him angry at some point but I don't ever remember him discipling me. I'm told he swatted me once for running out in the street and it broke my heart. When I had my first car accident I was so upset that I just kept crying. When daddy showed up and assessed the situation he asked me if I was hurt and I assured him I was not. He said, "then quit the crying". It sounds harsh but you have to know daddy. I stopped and felt so much better cause I knew he wasn't mad and he would take care of everything.
  • Although at the time he wasn't a Christian, he followed Christian principles. When the snow was deep he made sure the old german couple down the street had groceries and that we kids treated them with respect. He also taught us that shoveling snow included the walks for both the widows on either side of us. He was always very honest and a good neighbor.
  • Although he was never a violent man, I'll never forget the time he picked me up from work downtown and 2 troublemakers started following me and making nasty remarks. I had my head down because I was embarrassed when I heard them curse and run off. I looked up to see daddy running towards them with a crowbar waving above his head.
  • We always teased him about our trips, like the time we couldn't stop in New Orleans on our way to the beach because he couldn't find a parking place. He liked to get up early (like 3am) and toss us in the back seat so he could get a head start before the traffic.
  • I remember him teaching me to drive a clutch in Tower Grove Park. That was fun- ha!
  • He taught me how to swim by taking me to the end of a pier and throwing me in the lake - of course Joe was waiting in the water just in case.
  • Daddy was never much on showing affection which is probably why I so clearly remember the one time he kissed me before Steve & I left for our honeymoon.
  • I remember how he liked to play with the kids - he especially liked to tease them by taking out his false teeth.
  • I remember when he wasn't able to drive himself to the doctor anymore he always insisted we stop at Wendy's for lunch on the way home. His other favorite place to eat was Happy Joes.
  • He took me fishing and let me tag along down at Reelfoot Lake.
  • He made sure I knew enough basics about car mechanics that I wouldn't be stranded helpless somewhere.
  • Daddy wasn't a gabby person but it wasn't unusual for him to start up a conversation with anyone he came across.
  • Daddy sometimes liked to stir up trouble but even when he was being cantankerous he did it with a twinkle in his eye. I remember him giving nurses in the hospital grief about something and then winking at me. Of course they knew he was just a tease.
  • Daddy taught us independence and responsibility. I knew I would be expected to pay for anything other than food and housing once I hit 16 - including college and my wedding. But I also knew he had complete confidence in me that I would be fine.
I remember daddy listening to the Cardinal games and watching HeeHaw - going to bed by 9 or 10 but getting up at 4 or 5am- eating oatmeal, fried eggs and bacon every morning for breakfast ( until the doctor forbade him) - drinking black coffee and the strong black coffee he would make - and smoking Camels for years until after a sudden visit to the hospital when he just stopped cold turkey. I'm sure there's more - but what are some of your memories?

5 comments:

Ed. Tritschler said...

1- I allways looked up to your Dad and tried to be as good a man as he was.
2- I remember the Sunday your sister made me ask him for his permission to marry her and after it was over it really wasn't to bad of an expierence.
3- 5-9-59 when your sister suddenly appeared at the back of the church holding the arm of your dad.
4- A couple of years after our marriage I knew he accepted me because he ask me to drive his brother home.
I could go on and on but simply speaking after my grandpa Ramsey your dad had a big!!!!!!1 influence on my life.

Anonymous said...

I have lots of great memories of Grandpa.
He use to always tell me how to drive...like you need to be in the right line, we will be turning in about ten minutes.

Getting locked in the bathroom at mom's on Christmas Eve...We had to take off the bathroom door.

I drove him down to Kelly's to see one of her babies(we don't remember which one) he got there said yep it's a baby...let's go home. He went and sat out by the car until I was ready to leave.

Sitting on the front porch with him and listening to all his stories.

Adddressing Christmas cards...the day after Thanksgiven

Taking him shopping...probably his least favorite thing to do.

I could go on and on. I was very lucky and was able to spend at least one day a week with him and I will always be thankful for those times.

Sherri

Anonymous said...

I only knew Grandpa for a few years, but favorite memory too is when he locked himself in Nancy's bathroom Christmas Eve. He was just sitting on the toilet with a BIG smile on his face when we got the door off. I loved his smile too.
Karen

Becky said...

Grandpa had the BEST smile! I'll never forget those pearly white dentures... he just couldn't stop showing them off! :) I remember his raspy voice and giving him kisses on his whiskery cheeks. When we were kids, he would always look at us with his big smile and pull out a red and white mint for us from his front shirt pocket. I remember him always giving us a lawn job every Thanksgiving, and we would always giggle when he pulled up, because we just KNEW he was on the grass again! He's the sweetest old man I ever knew... I miss him dearly~

Anonymous said...

Your dad was a great guy. One story I heard from someone in your family was that your dad, mom, nancy and joe were heading to Michigan. Quite a ways from St Louis he stopped for gas and after filling up discovered that he had forgotten his wallet. He told the gas attendant and asked if he could leave him something for collateral until he went back home and returned with his money. Joe piped up and said "Leave Nancy!". Joe was a card even back then. Bill