Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Great Classic

Cover ImageOK - I may be the only person who has never read this book but Uncle Tom's Cabin is a 'must read' classic!  I'm not sure why I had never read it and I've actually owned it for a few years but kept putting off getting into it - but once I got started  I was surprised how easily I got wrapped up in it.  I figured an old book like that would be dry and difficult to struggle through.  It would probably be filled with sermonizing and archaic language.  But the language was like any you would find in a historical novel written today about that period in history.  And there were definitely sermons woven into the story but you never felt preached at  - it was more like a good ole' vibrant action packed tent meeting that was easy to relate to.  In fact, I think Uncle Tom is my new spiritual earthly hero.  As you wonder if someone could actually remain so faithful and righteous with all the misery and pain they put him through, you realize it was his faith and  drawing himself closer to God rather than turning his  back on Him that got him through.  I strive for that close relationship he attained with God and I do believe that there are people like Uncle Tom who survive many sorrows by clinging to their faith so intently.  
I also never knew the history of the book itself.  It is historical fiction for us now but it was written in 1851-52 and was present day life for Harriet Beecher Stowe.  Just like books we would now find written about our current news stories.  It was written after the Fugitive Slave Law came in effect.  This law said that Northerners were required to return any runaway slaves to their masters in the South.  H. B. Stowe wanted to bring to light the lives these slaves were running from.  Several, Abe Lincoln included, felt this book fueled the fire that started the Civil War.  
If you're considering reading this book don't be afraid that it may be too graphic because H.B. Stowe did a great job of alluding to misery rather than giving gory details.  I'm sure there are a lot of great classics I need to read - I've read Mark Twain, Louisia May Alcott, and C.S. Lewis - any suggestions for other classic 'must reads'?

No comments: