Sunday, August 10, 2008

What are these plants?



Although I really wish I were - I'm no gardner.  Since momma & daddy were both great in a garden you would think I would have inherited some of that knowledge.  I don't mind getting dirty - I have always had house plants  - it's the heat and bugs that keep me out of our 72 foot planter that runs along the back of our yard.  
We (Steve mostly) try to plant things in the empty spaces that we hope will make it look better but every year we have big empty spaces and lots of greenery which I'm sure is just some sort of weed.  I didn't realize how bad it was until a neighbor remarked to me one day that the previous owner had always kept the planter gorgeous.  hint-hint - Oh well.  
But these purple plants (planted by the previous owner of course) have survived the whole 30 years we've lived in this house.  Each year there are more of them and they seem to be taller every year.  They spring up a few times a year and they last maybe a month each time.  And for some reason it just occurred to me that I have no idea what the name of the plant is.  In my walks around the neighborhood I've only seen one other home with these plants and they only had a few shoots.  
So if you know what these plants are, would you be so kind as to give me their name - they've been so good to me I would at least like to know their name when I go out to talk to them. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you've posted this, Ive noticed these things everywhere! sorry, I don't know what they are though.

Love You,

stevie

Jenny Reijgers said...

i noticed these at the Zoo the other day after seeing them on your blog.

lilabet said...

Thank you Marcia for calling to give me the name of these plants - she said they are Amaryllis Belladonna - or I can (and will) call them by their common name - Naked Lady. That name makes perfect sense to me.