Sunday, August 24, 2008

School Days


Cleveland High School


I was watching a commercial the other day about school clothes and I couldn't help but wander back into my memory when I would get all excited about new school clothes.  Of course, way back then, it was a totally different world.  
Girls always wore skirts or dresses (no more than an inch above the knee) and boys had to wear shirts with a collar and it had to be tucked in their slacks - no jeans or t-shirts for anyone ever!  I don't remember anyone ever wearing sneakers except in gym class.  And the girls gym uniform was a blue one piece bloomer thing where we had to sew our names across the back.
Other things have changed as well.   I don't remember having to buy any school supplies until maybe high school.  And maybe it was because I grew up in south city and not the county but grade school was from kg - 8th grade and almost everyone went home for lunch.  I remember I was really disappointed when I realized my own kids would have to eat lunch at school.  Of course it makes sense, but lunch time was a little tradition all in itself.
But do they still say the Pledge of Allegiance in school?  I remember one of my favorite songs from school was "Fairest Lord Jesus" - I'm almost certain you won't hear that very often anymore.  One thing that is really sad is the leniency in behavior now.  Curse words or even ugly talk were not tolerated anymore than a fist fight was.  
Of course, kids are much smarter these days and they are given a  lot more opportunities.  I guess you have to sacrifice some and choose the lesser evils.  
One good thing - at least the little girls don't have to worry about the little boys lifting their skirts to see their underwear!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

School supplies! Have you seen some of the things kids have to bring to school these days?
Clorox wipes-paper towels-tissues-pencil sharpeners-shouldn't our tax $ be paying for some of these things? Then on top of all that we have to send $15.00 checks to the teachers so they can purchase just the right things for their students to use so that they are all the same! It is very frustrating!
I miss the "good ole days"
KT