Saturday, November 22, 2008

Early Thanksgiving













Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday - even when I was a kid.  It's always been the time for cousins, aunts, uncles, etc to all get together and just visit and eat.  About 20 years ago I've hosted Thanksgivings with close to 50 people a few times but it was usually more like 25 - 30.  A few years ago it just got to be too much - the family just kept growing and growing and my old body just couldn't keep up that pace.  So the last few years it's been our kids' families and Steve's mom.  I was at a loss when I found out all the kids had other things going this year.  Karl's family is coming in for the holiday for the first time in 8 years so Jen is getting her first big Thanksgiving dinner together.   Stevie & Jessie are spending the holiday with her family.  Becky & Nate were willing to come to dinner at both families but that seemed kinda silly to make them do that - especially since Al & Angie so graciously invited us and GG to join them for the day.  But I still couldn't just not have Thanksgiving with my kids so we did it today.  Hope I didn't spoil the real deal for them but I'm thankful for my beautiful family and their willingness to let me get my Thanksgiving fix.  And as has always been our tradition - since today was Thanksgiving here - tomorrow the Christmas tree goes up - Happy Holidays everyone!!

4 comments:

Jenny Reijgers said...

Thanks for doing the early Thanksgiving (I was really sad at the thought of missing it). We had a great time and the food was delicious! Love you.

Anonymous said...

Edward still misses your stuffing, could you bring him some leftovers (if there is any)
Happy Turkey Day!

Anonymous said...

OH, I remember the big gatherings. First one I attended was in 1992, Edward and I just started dating and this was my introduction to extended the family. I come from a small family, so I was excited to see sooo many people there!
You always threw a GREAT Turkey day! We love ya!

Becky said...

Thanks again mom! Everything was DELICIOUS!!!!