Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Just Thinking Out Loud

Two Thoughts:
# 1 -TV Reality shows
I know lots of people that truly love all those reality shows - but I have a tough time with them.  I'm not really sure what characterizes a "reality" show, but I see 3 different groups.  There's the 'out on an island' or 'let's all live in one house' group - I really have no interest in watching people swat bugs and argue about who's side who is on.  I'm not sure that sentence makes sense - but you get my drift.  
Then there's the very worse group - I'm not sure if there's more than one show of this sort but I caught the last 2 minutes of Moment of Truth - these people are crazy.  I'm guessing it's all show and they're all really lying- but still - who want's to watch that?
Then there's the 3rd group - and I can understand the attraction to some of them - Idol and Can you Dance type shows.  By a friend's encouragement I actually watched the Food Network show about finding a new 'cooking star' and it wasn't too bad.  I know I'm just too wimpy but it hurts me to see those people get put down.  
I guess I'll just stick to the bloody, violent shoot 'em and cut 'em up shows like NCIS, CIS, and House.  I really don't like the blood and violence but I enjoy the drama and  chemistry between the characters.

 #2 - Books of a 'spiritual' nature:
I just finished reading "The Shack" because I had heard so many people talking about it.  It was ok but not one I'd recommend to anyone - too wordy & preachy for me.  But I noticed as I read this book - sometimes the author says things that IF he really knew what he was talking about, he would have answered some question of mine.  I have to stop and remind myself that he's not receiving this by inspiration - he's just another guy with his own opinion, regardless if I happen to like that opinion or not.  Which made me think about all the other books that I've read that had the same effect on me - sometimes about heaven, miracles, angels, or the 'last days'.  We have the Left Behind series, 5 People You Meet In Heaven, This Present Darkness, City of Angels, 90 Minutes in Heaven, Can't Wait to Get to Heaven, Peace Like a River, and even Stephen King's Last Stand.  I'm know there are plenty more.  I figure God is shaking his head and just laughing at us.
One final thought for the day: I know most of you are loving this summer weather - But I would really love to have a summer of 60- 70 degrees - but I guess that's just me.  Everyone have a good week and all you daddies have a great Father's Day.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I can actually hear you saying those things in your head! ha! Sounds just like my mama, and that's why I love you so! I totally agree with your spiritual book thought too- maybe that's because I'm your daughter :) ... and next year you have to watch Idol from beginning to end and I promise you'll like it!!!! Love you!

Kathryn & John said...

I can't imagine why anyone would ever go on that Moment of Truth show. It makes me so uncomfortable.