Sunday, September 28, 2008

NOT My Favorite Book

I just finished reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.  I wish I had known that Oprah was going to make this book her book club choice and then I wouldn't have bothered to have read it.  As a rule, any book Oprah suggests I refuse to read.   She seems to go for the depressing 'what was the point in reading this' book.  
I admit there have been a few exceptions when I had read a book and liked it and THEN found out she had it on her list.  Sad to say, I was already two-thirds through this book before she announced it as her latest book choice - and another rule I have is once I've started a book I will finish the book no matter how bad it is.  Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against Oprah.  Truthfully, I really don't know much about her but my daughter tells me she's very generous and basically has a good heart - she just happens to enjoy books that I don't.
What's the problem with the book?  If  you have a deep desire to know the details about dog training, what a dog might be thinking, or the history of this particular dog farm - (all of which has almost nothing to do with the story line) and you like really dumb endings where the dog is the only winner - then please enjoy.
There is actually a good story line about a mute 'dog whisperer' boy, his family, and his relationship with the dogs.  It has some paranormal and some mystery but you could easily cut out about 250 of the 560 pages and not miss a thing.  I hope I haven't ruined the book for anyone - I know there are some who will really enjoy the book - like Oprah - but I prefer to get my book suggestions from friends like Cathy, Kathryn, Nancy and Kris - who haven't steered me wrong yet.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I'm proud of you for finishing it! I have thrown many a book aside if I'm not into it... I'm kind of hard on them! hehe

Kathryn & John said...

I'll take it off my reading list. Here's a new one , if you haven't read it yet: The Tortilla Curtain, by T.C. Boyle.