Thursday, October 02, 2008

Memory of a Doctor

Last night as I was leaving my bible class I saw Dr. J taking one of his young patients aside for a quick check on something - I know he's good about that and my daughters love that he is the pediatrician for their kids.  Our family doctor is great about that also.  Dr. C has checked on me a number of times and I often see him taking others aside for a quick 'office' visit.  It is nice having Christian doctors who feel more like family than doctor.
But for some reason I had a back flash of the doctor of my youth - Dr. S.
I really only remember 3 incidents about Dr. S but it's enough to be extra thankful for people like Dr. C and Dr. J.
The first thing I remember about him was when I was about 5 years old.  I played with the 2 boys down the block and one night Davey tried to jump over the fire hydrant and was badly hurt.  Now why I thought I could jump over the fire hydrant after watching Davey get hurt is beyond me.  I was never considered the brains in the family.   So, I tried the same trick the next night and split my head open.  I remember 3 things (aren't you proud of me Uncle Ed - three points within my three points!!)
1- I remember my brother Joe scooping me up and placing me on the kitchen table - which I just couldn't believe I was laying on the kitchen table bleeding all over.
2- I remember my mom crying - and I guess it must have been the first time I had seen her cry.  After all, she was always telling me that if I didn't hush my crying she would give me something to cry about.   I was a very sensitive and emotional child but I knew she never hesitated when she started swinging that hairbrush.
3- And I'm not sure if I really remember this or just the retelling of this - but Dr. S yelling at mama for bringing me to City Hospital.

The second Dr. S incident was an office visit.  Again - I'm not sure if I really witnessed this or just remember the story.  But mama was taking either Jimmy or I for a doctor visit and we were the next ones to be called into his office.  The door opened and this kid came out screaming and holding his face - and his mother was furious!  When we walked into the office Dr. S said "the kid kicked me so I slapped him" and he seemed to think that slapping a young child was quite all right.  Today he would be sued if not worse.

The third incident was one I remember quite well.  I was in high school and had a plantar's wart on my foot.  He began by telling me that he would burn it out and of course this sounds scary to me.  So I ask if it will hurt and he fumed a little and said I wouldn't feel a thing.  I was doubtful but I let him do it and it really wasn't too bad.  After I had this open wound he told me he was going to pour alcohol over it.  Worried about the pain, I pulled back my foot and he lost it.  Went ballistic!  He ripped off a bandage on his hand and poured the bottle of alcohol over it and yelled, "see it doesn't hurt - I didn't even wince!!!"  I actually doubt if he would have winced no matter how much it might hurt.   I couldn't wait to get out of there and I'm pretty sure that was the last time I went to him.
Shortly after that we heard he had a major stroke and our records were passed on to another doctor who was a bit of a quack but at least he didn't scare me.  REALLY makes me appreciate Dr. C and glad the kids have Dr. J!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is too funny (not really, but it is). I had a dentist like that. (to this day I do not go as often as I should). But any way, he gave me a shot to numb me, he started drilling and I sat straight up b/c I could feel everything! He SLAPPED me REAL HARD! and asked if I felt that? I said yes, got up from the chair and told my mom that I would NEVER go back to him again (and I didn't) I was only 10! Mom found me a new dentist after that.
KT

Ed. Tritschler said...

Yes I am proud of your three points but also I am proud of YOU!!
We are having a great time