Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sorting Through Pictures

When I was a little girl, my mom had a single shoebox of pictures that I use to love to go through and look at.  I have 7 boxes of pictures that I chose not to put in my albums.  They just didn't take many pictures back then.  The earliest one I have of my mom was when she graduated high school and I only have one of my dad as a child before his graduation picture.  There are a few of my McCoy grandparents that are pretty good but I'd love to have a good photo of my Cloud grandparents.  There really are not very many of me as child either - lots of Nancy and Jimmy though :)
I can remember taking pictures of my own kids and just hoping I got a half way decent shot because I only had a few more frames left and I might need those shots for something else that might happen that day.
Today we have digital and I love it because you don't have to worry about using up too much film for a single shot - you can take 20 of the same moment and still have plenty left on your little card - whatever it's called.
But that also means when my kids give me over 500 pictures to choose from for my own albums - I end up with lots of pictures.  In 2007 when we had 3 grandkids born  - I have four albums for the one year.  Before digital I could have 2 years of pictures in one album.  But I still love the digital - even if I can't fit them all in my albums - I have boxes!  There are some pictures that just highlight a certain personality that I want to keep even if I don't put them in my album.
For example:

What we like to call Spencer's 'Chandler' smile

Coen's innocent look 
The Gracie Stare - she can outstare anyone.
Ayden's 'I'm not sure I like this' expression
And I have no idea what expressions we'll be getting from Jackson in the future
 - but he even sleeps cute.
Remember all those old war movies and stories where they had a single photo of their family or 'true love' - I don't know but I'm guessing that the new technology allows our heroes to carry several family pictures on little key ring size albums.  I guess it's kinda like the difference between getting a letter and a dozen emails today - I still miss letters but that's a whole different story.

3 comments:

Kathryn & John said...

Isn't it funny how you can picture the same expressions on them when they grow up?

Anonymous said...

That's true - especially when sometimes I see the same expressions I've seen on another member of the family when they were that age.

Becky said...

Awww! Good post mom! The "Chandler Smile" still gets me every time! haha!