Tuesday, October 07, 2008

When I was in 8th grade I had one of my favorite all time teachers who was also a close friend of my mom's from church- Mrs. Flowers.  She always made us reach beyond what we thought we could do.  One of the things we had to do since it was an election year was to give a speech to support a candidate we chose.  On graduation day she gave us all little diplomas with her predictions of what we would become in life.  Mine said (I still have it): "Ann McCoy is the first woman mayor of St. Louis.  She became interested in politics while making speeches at Oak Hill during the 1964 Presidential Campaign."
And then when I decided to take Paralegal courses, the only avenue was to major in Political Science.
I find this all very amusing because in truth I have a very strong dislike for politics!
Basically it's the constant bickering and mud slinging I hate so much. I've always avoided confrontations and debates.  I was tired of the commercials after the first week they began and I've quit answering the phone or the doorbell unless I'm sure of who it is.  But of course I cannot truly escape the election.  It's discussed within the family, who all have different ideas and reasons as to who should be president.  I hear it whenever we're with friends or neighbors - it even got more discussion at my book club last night than the book we were suppose to discuss!!
Now before you start lecturing me about how I should be informed and appreciate my freedoms - let me make it clear that I find all this campaigning very annoying but fully realize how necessary it is.  And I am deeply appreciative of my freedoms - I thank God everyday for allowing me to live in the USA.  I admit I kinda wish God would just give us a president like when He had David anointed but that's not the way it works these days.  I will vote on election day but I am waiting until most of you are done 'campaigning' and the dust has settled before I make my choice.
The bible says that we are to obey and show respect to our rulers as long as their laws don't contradict God's laws.  I can do that.  Even if I don't believe in their policies that might support abortion, gay rights, give us lousy medical choices, ruin our economy, keep us in the war or pull us out too soon - whatever - I can be a law abiding citizen and still retain my own personal beliefs and remain faithful to God.  God's people have been doing that from the start.
So, I look forward to the day this is all settled and for four more years we just move on.  I just hope most everyone can 'just move on'.  (I hear that there are some who still fight the Civil War.)   Here is a quote from a book I liked (Tending Roses by Lisa Wingate) that I hope can be taken to heart.
"What we cannot change, we must endure without bitterness.  Sometimes we must try to view the actions of those around us with forgiveness.  We must realize that they are going on the only road they can see.  Sometimes we cannot raise our chins and see eye to eye, so we must bow our heads and have faith in one another."

3 comments:

Becky said...

Well said! Now come talk to me if you want to know who to vote for! ha ha

Anonymous said...

Was your teacher Cornelia Flowers? If so, she attended Lemay C of C; I grew up in that congregation and remember her fondly. She was such a great lady and loved to share her knowledge with others. She passed away several years ago. Wow, you were lucky to be one of her students.

Suzanne Barbiea

lilabet said...

Yes it was Cornelia Flowers. We actually went to church with her at Morganford CofC before she went to Lemay and we went to Southside. She called me Miss Ann up until I last saw her which was just shortly before she died. I wish I had had more teachers like her!