Friday, April 25, 2008

What is Retirement?

This morning while talking to Stevie he was teasing me about sleeping in until 7 and that I had taken time for a walk.  I know he doesn't really begrudge me my flexible schedule - but it made me wonder if I might be missing something.  Am I letting this time of my life slip by without making the most of it?  Should I feel guilty when I take a long walk or sit down with a book?  Sure my house could use a good cleaning but my body is only willing to work a short time before the the joints & muscles start complaining.
 Four and a half years ago I decided to quit my job and retire.  I wanted to be 'available' to be a grandma - or Nana as it actually turned out.  My children are doing an excellent job of helping me stay busy in that capacity - and I love that.  But of course this only fills in some of the time - plus Nana is not as young as she once was and does need her own time once in awhile.  I know at some point the grandkids are all going to start school and will only need me now and then - and then later their lives will become so busy - well, I don't even want to think that far ahead.  The point is - am I going to have trouble filling in my time without feeling guilty about it?  Is retirement free license to enjoy yourself?   The answer is - I don't know and I've decided I really am not even going to worry about that right now.  
This morning I heard a song Jenny had on her blog several weeks ago.  "You're Gonna Miss This" by Trace Adkins.  It's about a girl who can't wait to be 18, and then when married can't wait to have kids, and when the kids come feels overwhelmed with them - and she keeps being reminded 
'You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this'
After the song I remembered a paper I had written in high school.  It was an essay about some quote from a guy who claimed the good times are in the past.  I remember that my stand was that the best of times are right now - at whatever point you are at.  I remember my teacher writing on it 'I wish you lots of luck in trying to hang on to that point of view'.  I'm still not sure if she was being genuine or sarcastic - but I have always tried to maintain that outlook.
So what have I done today you ask - I took a walk, ran errands, read my bible, wrote a blog - and tonite I am babysitting Ayden.  In fact the only 'real work' I've done is make my bed and do a little pick-up.  Ok - so maybe I'll go do some laundry and clean a bathroom - but its NOT because I feel guilty!!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Mom- you deserve all the time you want for yourself! Enjoy with no guilt! You're an amazing mom and nana which we all know are still "jobs" in themselves- so take walks, read books, and enjoy when you can! We love you! (and make dad do the dishes tonight!! :)

Conni H. said...

Ann,
You deserve the time. You have earned it! Read books, take walks, enjoy nature, spend all the time you can with your grandkids...

There is a reason that they call it retirement... it is because you are suppose to RETIRE from WORK!

Enjoy life.... and don't feel guilty. Satan is the father of Guilt!

I miss you.

Bradford L. Stevens said...

I suspect that with all those grandkids you are not going to have much time for anything else for quite a while. Enjoy it while you can.